Tomorrow’s Test: Husker Du for your class, Vocab, EMen, TYM.
1. _____ 2. _____ 3. _____ 4. _____ 5._____ 6. _____
7. Pony and Johnny were _____ heroes!
8. The detective _____(ed) the criminal’s identity from the clues he left behind.
9. It was rather _______ of Pony and Johnny to rush into the burning church.
10. There are two commandments of the ten that forbid _____(ing).
11. The fireman jumped out of bed with _______ when the alarm sounded.
12. (2) The Socs always would say the word greaser _____(ly) and with ______(ing).
13. I’m _____? Do you even know what that means? (haha)
14. It seems the control system of the new Boeing airliners might be _____ to failure, so they were taken out of service.
“The Earth Men Part I Quiz.” Write the ANSWER. (sigh)
- The best word to describe most Martians’ reaction to the Earth men would be… a) fear. b) anger. c) nonchalance. d) politeness. e) resentment. f) NOTA
- What does the captain say that finally makes Mr. Aaa stop and listen to him? a) “All the way from Earth.” b) “Mr. Ttt sent us to see you.” c) “Earth. Rocket. Men. Trip. Space.” d) “We came sixty million miles.” e) “We’re from Earth.” f) NOTA
- What is it the Earth men want from the Martians? a) Land. b) They want the Martians to surrender. c) Recognition. d) Goods to trade with Earth. e) All of the above. f) NOTA
- Even though it doesn’t really have anything to do with the story, Ray Bradbury spends time describing a mechanical spider toy that the little girl plays with. What’s the point? a) To show how weird the Martians are. b) To show us a glimpse of what Martian life is like. c) He’s comparing the Earth men to the spider; they are just toys that the Martians play with. d) To show that the girl really isn’t interested in the man’s story. e) B and D. f) All of the above.
- It turns out that the line of work a Martian needs to be in to welcome Earth men is… a) military. b) government leader. c) police. d) immigration. e) psychology. f) Earth man welcoming. g) NOTA
- “Without noticing them again, as if they had melted down through the floor…” (p23) a) flashback b) foreshadowing c) metaphor d) simile e) NOTA
- What was the Martian’s explanation for the rocket?
- BONUS for +1: What is the inciting incident in this story?
- BONUS FOR +1: Find and fix the apostrophe error above.
“The Earth Men.”
How does this story relate to Poem #435?
“The Third Expedition.”