Prep sheet for Test #15:
Vocabulary Practices: 12/7: ____/12 12/6: ____/15
Vocab H/W: ___/20
Other Extra Credit: Period 3 gets +3 for Vocab Relay, Period 6 gets +1. Also: Cerro San Luis +1, phenomena +1, 1941 +1.
- Wacky Wordy: What phrase is represented by the following?look kool XtXhXeXsXtXrXeXeXtX
- What musical instruments are represented below?
a) P O b) BA BA c) ECLART d) @ # $ %
- Add together each of the defined words to get a whole new word. Example: to shout + what you say when you feel pain = yellow.
a) A light brown color + to leave = ____ b) Vehicle + an animal pal = _____ c) A store’s announcement + a type of women’s clothing = ______
- These groups of three definitions describe three words that are spelled the same, except for one letter. (Example: king, ring, wing.) What are they?
a) finished, to sleep lightly, a measured quantity b) sneaky, to secretly observe, an enclosure for pigs
The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
You have just crossed over into… The Twilight Zone!
Tomorrow’s (Short) Test: Vocab, MoMS, Husker Du.
NextGen VOCABULARY RELAY! The class that gets around the room fastest with the fewest mistakes wins! If you are one of the people that gets a rerun, you’d better be ready! Count off, remember your number, and preview your question before we get to you.
- True/False? Referring to a judge as “Your Honor,” is an example of a colloquialism.
- True/False? Always eating chicken before a baseball game is a good example of an idiosyncrasy.
- True/False? In the word insomnia, the prefix in- means into.
- True/False? Shaving your head is an example of a metamorphosis.
- True/False? Mr. Coward uses many colloquialisms.
- True/False? The word scapegoat is based on actual goats.
- True/False? In the word instill, the prefix in– means not.
- True/False? The word scapegoat can be used as a verb.
- True/False? In the word transfixed, the prefix trans– means nailed.
- True/False?To be called a phenomenon, it has to be inexplicable.
- True/False? At the end of The Midwife’s Apprentice, Alyce is optimistic.
- True/False? Dally was a pessimistic person.
- True/False? The sun coming up every morning is a phenomenon.
- True/False? The sun coming up every morning is inexplicable.
“The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.” Act II.
Let’s preview a few MoMS test questions.
You should have:
- Source #1
- Source #2
What is a SWAT officer?What training…?Etc.
(rough draft)Officer Jim Dandy
listened to the voice in his
earphone as he slowly
approached the building…
You Better Know: What infamous event in history occurred on this day? In what year?
- (2) _____ and ______
- “Quick, Bartlett! ______ them with hope!”
- “It’s times like these we really need to roll up our sleeves, rally together, and find a _____.”
- Everybody has _______(s) that other people might find weird.
- Patience with the ways of nature had been ____(ed) in her by her father.
- The root of this word means sleep: _____
- The prefix of this word means across or through: _____
- (2) The prefix of these words means not: _____ (Not instill; that one means “into.”)
- *** This word literally means “across to send.” _____
“The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.” p246.
Discuss in your group:
- What is the purpose of fear? (Why do we get scared?)
- Why do we like it sometimes? (Don’t say, “It’s fun.” Duh.)
- What are (most) humans scared of?
- “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” (Meaning? Bonus: Who said that famous quote?)
Plagiarism or Not? (1-3)
Debrief Test #14. #23?! What the heck?! #31?
“Vocabulary, 12/6.” (15p) Bonus: What was the misspelled word on the vocab sheet? Bonus 2: What’s the plural form of phenomenon?
- “If there are no other ideas, then it’s agreed we blame the media.” _____
- Since I hadn’t studied, I was ______ about my chances on the difficult test.
- The hill with the M on it is known _____(ly) as Madonna Mountain, but its real name is… (Bonus: en Espanol.)
- Mr. Calandro is trying to _____ a sense of kindness in the students of Laguna.
- The replays of the rescue ____ TV watchers all over the country.
- The _____ of two full moons in one month is called a blue moon.
- (2) Everyone was talking about the _____ _____ they saw in the sky last night. What the heck was it?
- The root of this word means “shape.” ______
- True or False? Always taking the same route to school is a good example of an idiosyncrasy.
- *** (2) The protesters’ _______ has managed to get construction of the Dakota Pipeline temporarily _______(ed).
- Start a Google Doc with the title Works Cited.
- Open your first source in a new tab. Copy the url and open another new tab.
- Go to EasyBib.com.
- Paste your url into the form and create a citation.
- Paste it into your Works Cited doc.
- Start another Google Doc and title it Notes for _____.
- Find your five questions about your topic and put them on your notes sheet to organize your notes.
- Start reading and note-taking!
- Start ANOTHER Google doc. Title it ________ (your topic).
- Your first paragraph or two should show “your topic in action.” If your topic is diabetes, for example, you might show us what goes on inside the body of someone with diabetes and how the insulin goes to work. Or you might show a day in the life of a diabetic person, and all the things they have to be aware of.
- The rest of your paper should be organized by your questions. Use each one as a “section” of your paper. When you’re finished, we’ll take out the questions, and be left with a well-organized paper.
SAWs for Homies. I made one of the SAWs a regular vocab word, so we only have four regular SAWs this week.
“Homies Warm Up, 12/5 – SAWs.”
intervention, suspend, transmit, priority
- This word literally means “between come thing.”
- This word can also mean to stop temporarily.
- This word literally means “under hang.”
- This word literally means “across to send.”
Copy homework into assignment book.
Get a Chromebook. Log in. Open Chrome. Come here to middleschool.mrcoward.com.
Click the blue RI icon on the lower left. Follow the directions. Make a note of your score. The last time we did this was 9/6. You should have written your number down back then. Compare!
If you finish early, start your definitions.
Prep sheet for Test #14:
Vocabulary Hw: ___/20 Vocabulary Practice: 12/1: ___/11 11/30: ___/13 11/29:___/16
Warm Ups: 12/1:___/5 11/30:___/5 11/29:___/5 11/28:___/10
Other Extra Credit: Per3 +3, Per6 +2, Per1,2 +1 for Vocab Relay, +1 for Pedro, +1 for stars.
- Wacky Wordies. The colors are not part of the clues.
- Figure out what the three things in each set have in common. Each answer is a six-letter word ending in -s.
- a) trombone, playground, microscope
- b) railroad, muddy shoes, music cd
- What living creature has fur, four legs, and a tail, eats cat food, meows, and sees equally well from both ends of its body?
- Name an English word (there are actually two) of more than two letters that both begins and ends with the letters -he in that order. “Hehe” is not an acceptable answer.
Doodle Theme: Christmas Parade.
“Time and Punishment”
(Already?!) Tomorrow’s Test: Vocabulary, Husker Du, Alyce, ASOT.
“Warm Up, 12/1.”
- Have newer articles been published on your topic? a) Currency b) Relevance c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Purpose
- Are alternative points of view offered? a) Currency b) Relevance c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Purpose
- Can you verify any of the information in another source? a) Currency b) Relevance c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Purpose
- (2) The medication seems effective. _____, more research must be done to see if it’s safe. _____, it’s best to avoid it.
“Vocabulary, 12/1.” You will use 11/12 words, each one once.
- The rich merchant’s wife “commenced scolding and _____(ing) the little fellow…until her scolding turned to cooing…”
- “Too much ale and too few wits” = a _______.
- lush : barren :: generous : _____(ing)
- He was such a glutton that he ____(ed) everything in sight.
- She was ______ to report her friend for cheating. (Not discontented.)
- poison : remedy :: smile : _____
- willing : reluctant :: poor : _____
- She tried to _____ the situation by apologizing to her friend.
- After being uncared for for so long, the fruit tree was ______.
- He was _____ with his boring job. (No, not reluctant.)
- There was a _____ of volunteers to help with party. With so many people, the preparations were finished quickly.
“A Sound of Thunder”
You can actually see backwards in time any day or night. You don’t need any sort of contraption either. Try to guess how. Any semi-reasonable, complete-sentence answer gets credit. Go.
What the…? The law of a certain land states that all who wish to enter through the city gates are asked to state their business. Those who reply truthfully (the guards can tell) are allowed to enter and depart in peace, but those who reply falsely are hanged. A traveler approaches the gate, and when asked his business, he replies, “I have come to be hanged.” What should happen to this traveler?